SFL Forum
Halloween - Printable Version

+- SFL Forum (http://www.sflforums.com)
+-- Forum: Fun Stuff (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: TV & Movie Talk (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Halloween (/showthread.php?tid=9825)

Pages: 1 2

Halloween - WalrusWrangler - 10-23-2018

I watched the new Halloween recently. I had never seen a slasher film before (including the original Halloween) because they seemed like wanton violence with no real plot. The new Halloween wasn't like that at all, though. The plot element of Laurie Strode waiting and prepping for forty years in case Michael Meyers escaped is what enticed me to the film. There was violence and gore aplenty, to be sure, but the story was excellent as well. It had themes of family, trauma, teenage drama, the nature of evil, and responsibility. Add to that the masterful cinematography, composition, acting, and pacing. Great film, would recommend.

Now I'm questioning whether my perception of slasher films was correct. Is the new Halloween a mature take on the genre, or was I missing something in it all along? Would anyone recommend other movies in this vein?

RE: Halloween - myotch - 10-24-2018

Horror movie fanatic here.

I think even the sub-genre of “slasher” tends to be filled with morality tales with lots of gore, maybe reminiscent of the Middle Ages puppetry and plays about monsters and violence. Of course what’s “moral” is sometimes questionable - teen sexuality in the Friday the 13th early movies, revenge against mob-violence-masquerading-as-justice in the Nightmare on Elmstreet franchise.

There are a lot of treasures out there. But going back to the original successful franchises as an adult could probably help develop a greater appreciation for the underlying message.

For a fun analytical breakdown of the subgenre, a deconstruction of the slasher formula, with dead-on accuracy, watch Cabin in the Woods.

RE: Halloween - leo the lamb - 10-24-2018

I've started watching The Amityville Horror and am finding it interesting enough. The sound effects trying to get people to jump out of their skin do bug me a little, as they've gotten pretty outdated I think.

RE: Halloween - leo the lamb - 10-30-2018

Ok, so The Amityville Horror (2005) is probably not a good example of a slasher film. I'll see if there are any Halloween movies I can watch, if only to appreciate my co-workers' Michael Myers references last winter when I came to work in my wonderfully warm dark blue coveralls.

RE: Halloween - WalrusWrangler - 10-31-2018

I've been meaning to watch Cabin in the Woods. I've heard good things. That's Joss Whedon, right? I like most of his stuff.

I recently watched through The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix. I read and loved the book a few years ago, and the show is also solid, though it pretty much abandons everything about the book except some names, quotes, and the titular house. It tells a great family story with horror trappings. It even had a few well done jump scares, which I normally dislike for being cheap. Not a slasher, but highly recommended.

RE: Halloween - myotch - 10-31-2018

Netflix's Hill House was incredibly we done - whoever did it "gets" the genre, where I think AHS fails and far surpasses Walking Dead because of the scope and execution.

(I'm a TWD fan, but....How many years for a zombie serial?)

RE: Halloween - WalrusWrangler - 11-01-2018

I've only seen three seasons of AHS: Freak Show, Hotel, and Roanoke. Roanoke is the only one that actually felt like horror to me. Hotel was really bad, and Freak Show was ok.

I read TWD comics for a while, but I didn't watch much of the show. I've heard it's gotten really awful as far as dumb cliffhangers and stuff go. I enjoy Fear the Walking Dead a lot more. It's dealt with some scenarios that I thought were more interesting than in TWD: the initial outbreak, taking to sea in a yacht, managing the water supply in a desert, a Texas land feud between preppers and a Native American tribe, and most recently a hurricane.

RE: Halloween - myotch - 11-01-2018

TWD is kind of neat to watch here in GA, because of the landmarks. I'm often near the CDC and Emory U because of work, and travel on that stretch of 85 they use in an early poster/still. There are TWD tours and now Stranger Things tours as well.

The Starcourt Mall in the Season 3 trailer of Stranger Things is the old Gwinnett Place Mall - I live about 3 miles away, and worked there in security a long time ago. It's basically abandoned - only Macy's and a few shops keep the place open. They've blocked off the food court for filming.

So, that food court.... Last year they found a dead body in one of the - i think walk-in fridges. Killed there and left. https://www.ajc.com/news/local/boyfriend-charged-death-woman-found-gwinnett-place-mall/vhC8c0mbdaq1SNkFkpIr3I/

RE: Halloween - WalrusWrangler - 11-01-2018

Wow, that's intense.

I've noticed a lot of shows have the "Filmed in Georgia" thing going on now. NC had some projects for a while, but a lot of them left for states with better tax situations. Watching The Last of the Mohicans is fun because they're supposed to be in NY, but I recognize outdoor stuff from near my old home in Western NC.

RE: Halloween - myotch - 11-01-2018

I worked background for the new McGuyver series. I have a "confirm" to be working on a show next Friday, and an inquiry to see if my schedule is free to work on a show on Tuesday. There's so much filming being done here because GA doesn't mandate unions for actors or off-screen labor, there's tax incentives, etc. They are building sets often around an old Southern Bell / ATT / Lucent campus, and the entrance signage can sometimes look like an old Hollywood lot.