SFL Forum
What inspired your faith after Fundydom? - Printable Version

+- SFL Forum (http://www.sflforums.com)
+-- Forum: Deep Discussions (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Forum: Believer Safespace (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: What inspired your faith after Fundydom? (/showthread.php?tid=9781)

What inspired your faith after Fundydom? - myotch - 04-16-2018

(Perhaps as a companion piece to the “eye opener” thread.)

So, you left fundamentalism behind, and still persevered in the Christian faith. What was your inspiration? What fed your faith-life?

RE: What inspired your faith after Fundydom? - Workin' Mama - 04-16-2018

Emmanuel. God with us. Even in suffering. Especially in suffering.

RE: What inspired your faith after Fundydom? - myotch - 04-17-2018

I love that. Col 1:24, Paul rejoices in his suffering and joins it to Christ, and considers it part of the church’s reason for being.

RE: What inspired your faith after Fundydom? - WalrusWrangler - 04-17-2018

John 6:67-69

Quote:So Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you want to go away as well?” Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God.”

What led to me leaving is a large part of what kept my faith going. My drive to leave the IFB was motivated initially by lack of a social life in my church, but that discomfort gave me the will to take a good, hard look at their doctrines and practices. That prayerful investigation convinced me that to follow my faith faithfully I had to leave.

The journey out was hard and terrifying, but it was also rewarding, as I learned how to question and study critically. I learned more about grace, and when I did finally leave and find a congregation outside the bounds of fundyism, I got to see grace lived out. My faith grew richer as I left.

RE: What inspired your faith after Fundydom? - myotch - 04-18-2018

For me, it was realizing that there is beauty and hope in the Christian faith, in the expression of the faith, instead of primarily fear and submission.

It was my experience that even submission takes on a whole new context, a whole new paradigm, if it’s not conjoined to the harshness that fundamentalism brings. Charity exists as a good, not merely as a proselytizing mission. Unity exists despite differences in culture and even some opinions. Cooperation can erase conflict, and one doesn’t have to check values at the door to be cooperative.

RE: What inspired your faith after Fundydom? - myotch - 04-18-2018

(04-17-2018, 12:10 PM)WalrusWrangler Wrote: What led to me leaving is a large part of what kept my faith going. My drive to leave the IFB was motivated initially by lack of a social life in my church, but that discomfort gave me the will to take a good, hard look at their doctrines and practices. That prayerful investigation convinced me that to follow my faith faithfully I had to leave.  

Though I was out of hard shell fundamentalism at the time, your process is very similar to how I got out of Fundy-liteism.

Quote:...as I learned how to question and study critically.

Yes!  Yes!  Amen!

Quote:My faith grew richer as I left.

This seems to be a common experience among the faithful who shed themselves of fundamentalism.

In my church, i’ll admit to someone to being former Baptist, and they always remark the former Baptists are the ones most “on fire”. (I’m not what one would think of as “on fire”... Maybe I have nothing but fanaticism to compare what “on fire” is supposed to mean.)

RE: What inspired your faith after Fundydom? - Ricardo - 04-20-2018

I had already been visiting all kind of other churches with the Gospel team I was was part of. I wasn't really shopping around, but when my church of origin blew up (the trap set to our pastor by the faction of the church who had not voted for him.)

Those visits to other churches had been training me to look at the positives in any church. (We can ALWAYS find negatives at any church we attend.)

When I left, I discovered that if I don't have to spend an inordinate amount of every waking minute trying to EARN salvation, I could spend all that time really listening to God. Additionally, since at the same time I closed my bible and stopped trying to find ways to justify whatever I wanted to do as "God-led", I had all that extra time to REALLY listen to God.

My Faith grew.

"Of course we don't try to EARN salvation" people told me. Really? Tell me what it means when a person is described as "on fire for the Lord." DOING. "Of course we listen to God. That is why we pray without ceasing" Really? Try praying without asking a single thing and without trying to butter up God. Most of us only know how to talk to God, not really struggling with listening to Him.

It took me about ten years before I opened a Bible again. Now a completely different way of reading.

I rediscovered Rom 1:16-20
"16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, “The righteous shall live by faith.”

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. 19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. "

What an eye opener!

God and his nature are perceived by anyone, since the creation of the world, with or without a church, with or without a bible, with or without uttering "the formula" (I accept the Lord Jesus Christ as my personal and sufficient savior")

Hallelujah!

RE: What inspired your faith after Fundydom? - myotch - 04-20-2018

Romans 1 is certainly worth reading, again and again.

RE: What inspired your faith after Fundydom? - pastor's wife - 05-12-2018

Me? I've been so exhausted and beaten down by life, first by the emotional pain of our church split (that I posted about a LOT when I first joined SFL) along with the social isolation followed by the tremendous strain of financial problems. Add to that the crushing blow of my husband leaving me and ending our 25-year marriage.

At this moment, I think I'm just saying, "Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the words of eternal life."