SFL Forum
Profanity: is it a sin? - Printable Version

+- SFL Forum (http://www.sflforums.com)
+-- Forum: Deep Discussions (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Forum: General Theology Discussion and Debate (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Profanity: is it a sin? (/showthread.php?tid=9780)

Profanity: is it a sin? - James33 - 04-09-2018

I'd like to hear some thoughts here.

RE: Profanity: is it a sin? - WalrusWrangler - 04-09-2018

I honestly do not know. Gossip and damaging talk is a sin. Sexual joking is a sin. Blasphemy is a sin. Saying a certain word, though? I can't find anywhere in scripture that calls it out. Most of our no-no words are derived from sex or blasphemy, and I tend to avoid those. I can't find a reason to not say shit, though, except to not offend others. So I don't say it around other people, just when I get killed in a video game or get cut off in my car.

RE: Profanity: is it a sin? - myotch - 04-09-2018

Profanity (Expletives of an anti-religious nature) - yes.
Cursing (condemning words or phrases) - yes.
Vulgarity (expletives referring to bodily functions and secretions) - no, as long as it doesn’t offend.

RE: Profanity: is it a sin? - James33 - 04-09-2018

(04-09-2018, 02:55 PM)myotch Wrote: Profanity (Expletives of an anti-religious nature) - yes.
Cursing (condemning words or phrases) - yes.
Vulgarity (expletives referring to bodily functions and secretions) - no, as long as it doesn’t offend.

So if one were to use god's name in vain, that would be a sin.
if one were to curse at someone "fuck you" that would be a sin.
if one were to say the word "fuck" if they hurt their pinky toe at the door, that wouldn't be a sin?

^^ does that sum up what you're saying?

RE: Profanity: is it a sin? - myotch - 04-09-2018

Well, “God’s name in vain” is one of the 10 Commandments. So, yes, but I’m not so sure that counts as profanity. I haven’t really thought about it, as it is rather moot since both would be sin.

FU....I’m more thinking of GD or “Go to hell”. FU seems more as a vulgarity used as an aggressive invective.

Fuck, shit, piss, jizz.... these words are offensive to some, but they have non-offensive, safe-for-prime-time alternatives. Some of these counterparts are used as exclamations with hardly any offense of the most sensitive people.

It’s kind of funny that the offensive English words are generally most offensive in the comparatively Puritan US as compared to the other English-speaking countries. But we also wouldn’t consider “bloody” to be as vulgar as the British do.

RE: Profanity: is it a sin? - Miss TTU Runner-Up - 04-09-2018

In general, I agree with Myotch (!?!?). Words that are condemning someone to eternal punishment should not be spoken lightly. I would also think things like GD, or the one I really hate, “Jesus F***ing Christ,” would be rather blasphemous.
As for “taboo language” of the sort that refers to sex or bodily functions—they are just words which are euphemisms for other perfectly acceptable words. They are only taboo because our culture has decided they are. I would not consider those a sin in and of themselves. A case could be made that knowingly using language that is offensive to others- for the purpose of offending them -violates the Golden Rule, and could be considered sinful.

RE: Profanity: is it a sin? - James33 - 04-09-2018

TBH, growing up I was told that I can use any word with the exception of the word - "fuck".

RE: Profanity: is it a sin? - myotch - 04-10-2018

I developed a colorful habit of using expletives around 4th grade, at the same time Smokey and the Bandit came out. 5th grade was my first year in IFB Fundy school.

Some people just can’t take a friggin’ joke.

Profanity: is it a sin? - rsc2a - 04-10-2018

"God laid it on my heart that you...[insert hateful comment]" <-- taking the Lord's name in vain

RE: Profanity: is it a sin? - Workin' Mama - 04-10-2018

Personally I'm not comfortable with using the names of God or Jesus as expletives, although as rsc2a pointed out, taking the Lord's name in vain entails so much more.

For the most part, I think how we should speak comes down to the Golden Rule. More important than the exact words we use, is how we  treat others when we speak. Saying things that are cruel and demeaning or dishonest, regardless of the words used, is wrong.

Generally, I don't use certain words or tell crude jokes in front of certain people, if I think it will offend them. Also I try not to cuss in front of my kids, because they are too young to use discretion when to cuss and when not to (horrifying thoughts of my preschoolers shouting "OH SHIT!" in the middle of the grocery store).

Some people wrongly associate expletives with a lack of education and or vocabulary, but I disagree. Some people and situations are most accurately described using "foul" language. (Some situations are shitty, and some people are creepy ass perverts). I also read a supposedly scientific study one time, claiming that people who use expletives have better mental health and let go of stress more easily. Don't know if it's true, but it makes sense to me.