SFL Forum
Oscar 2018 - Printable Version

+- SFL Forum (http://www.sflforums.com)
+-- Forum: Fun Stuff (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: TV & Movie Talk (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Oscar 2018 (/showthread.php?tid=9759)

Oscar 2018 - James33 - 03-01-2018

Predictions here!

RE: Oscar 2018 - myotch - 03-01-2018

I predict I won’t watch it. I think I only saw one nominated movie (the excellent Get Out).

An easy prediction: a hedonistic, greedy, and vain industry will divert attention away from their orgiastic expression of being self-congratulatory by speaking in ways that are meant to convince us and them that these self-obsessed sociopaths care about people, politics, and the natural world around them.

RE: Oscar 2018 - RobMille - 03-01-2018

I can't make any good predictions. I hope the shape of water loses big. It seems like a terrible idea, apparently done well. I'm rooting for Darkest Hour & Dunkirk. I wouldn't mind seeing the movie Three Billboards, but haven't see it yet, so I don't have a big opinion. I've seen both Dunkirk & Darkest Hour. I thought both were terrific. The Underground scene in Darkest Hour was absurd, but the movie was great.

Abacus is amazing movie. Everyone should watch it. Although the filmmakers are shameless about their point of view. The bank did have a lot of problems, but seemed like overprosecution.

Oh, and I badly want to see Lady Bird. I thought when it was getting buzz for a while that it was like a bio-pic about Lady Bird Johnson, which I had no interest in. The trailers I've seen since then look just terrific. I can't wait to see it when it shows up on a cable channel, or streaming service.

I saw there's also an "Icarus" on the documentaries nominations. I'm thinking that's the Netflix show (or maybe it wasn't an Netflix exclusive?) about Lance Armstrong doping scandal and the Russian doping/cheating machine?

RE: Oscar 2018 - James33 - 03-06-2018

(03-01-2018, 08:36 PM)RobMille Wrote: I can't make any good predictions.  I hope the shape of water loses big.  It seems like a terrible idea, apparently done well.  I'm rooting for Darkest Hour & Dunkirk.  I wouldn't mind seeing the movie Three Billboards, but haven't see it yet, so I don't have a big opinion.  I've seen both Dunkirk & Darkest Hour.  I thought both were terrific.  The Underground scene in Darkest Hour was absurd, but the movie was great.

Abacus is amazing movie.  Everyone should watch it.  Although the filmmakers are shameless about their point of view.  The bank did have a lot of problems, but seemed like overprosecution.

Unfortunately Shape of Water won the most (4). I don't think it should've gotten Best Picture. Best Director for del Toro might've been okay but I still think Nolan should've gotten that for Dunkirk. Dunkirk got the awards it deserved although I still think Hans Zimmer should've gotten the music score. Darkest Hour, there was no way that Oldman or the make up team would've lost that to any other film. Oldman was terrific as Churchill and the makeup team took 3 hours to put that mask on. Logan should've won something I thought. 

Oh and Kobe got one.

RE: Oscar 2018 - WalrusWrangler - 03-06-2018

I usually just look at who won after the fact. I could never stomach the Oscars as a show, and the winners (and even the nominations) are usually far from what I'd pick. This year the only best picture nom I'd seen was Dunkirk. I'd like to see Get Out and Darkest Hour. I was interested in The Shape of Water because Del Toro, but after hearing more about it I decided to pass. Some of the rest I'd watch given the opportunity (as in, not going out of my way).

My favorite movies this year were The Last Jedi, Logan, Dunkirk, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man Homecoming, Thor Ragnorak, and It (you may notice a theme). Coco would have likely been on the list had I watched it, but it sadly passed me by. I'm still hoping to see it soon. I also wanted to see Bladerunner 2049, Baby Driver, War for the Planet of the Apes, and a few others. Aside from Coco, Dunkirk, and Bladerunner, most of those movies didn't have much presence at the Oscars.