SFL Forum
Query My Quote! - Printable Version

+- SFL Forum (http://www.sflforums.com)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Inane Chat (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Query My Quote! (/showthread.php?tid=9696)

Pages: 1 2

Query My Quote! - BigRed1 - 10-14-2017

Lay out your own quotable quote.  Dazzle us with your own wit and wisdom, or steal from another.

Query another's quote.  If you disagree, challenge it.  With all the nonsense on social media I find the greater ill in the failure to challenge what we believe is poor logic or ill-conceived ideas with a spirit of engendering learning and maintaining friendships. 

Don't worry.  If this is a bad idea of a thread, it will disappear into obscurity along with the rest of us.

I'll start:

"By all means marry.  If you get a good wife you will become very happy;  if you get a bad one, you will become a philosopher--and that is good for any man."      SOCRATES   

RE: Query My Quote! - Josh - 10-14-2017

(10-14-2017, 04:37 PM)BigRed1 Wrote: "By all means marry.  If you get a good wife you will become very happy;  if you get a bad one, you will become a philosopher--and that is good for any man."      SOCRATES   

But what if I get a good husband? Or a bad husband?  Dodgy 

"Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

RE: Query My Quote! - Workin' Mama - 10-15-2017

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger."  -- Common cliche

Meh, sometimes, but not always.  I prefer the way Marvel's character Jessica Jones says it:

"What doesn't kill us makes us stranger." -- Jessica Jones

When Luke Cage tries to correct her, she insists, "I said stranger, not stronger."

Ironically, this statement is coming from a character who is both very strong and rather strange, who has experienced extreme adversity in her life.

RE: Query My Quote! - pastor's wife - 10-15-2017

I'm always mentally challenging people's quotes on social media -- only I usually write my annoyance in a private message to someone ELSE or in a thread on here or something. I hate getting into arguments with people, especially online which often leads to misunderstandings.

As to the quote you shared, is Socrates assuming that only miserable people become philosophers?

A quote I questioned a couple weeks ago was this:

"When it's hard and you are doubtful, give more." - Frances Chan

RE: Query My Quote! - Workin' Mama - 10-15-2017

pastor's wife -- I have no idea who Frances Chan is, but I can see how the quote would be disturbing to an ex-fundamentalist. At worst, it could potentially be used by a controlling leader to keep people giving their time, money, effort, and heart to something they no longer agree with. At best, it is saying not to give up on your goals when the going gets rough.  

As to whether or not the statement has value, I think it all depends on the context. Some things are worth fighting for, and some things are not. And sometimes it can be hard to know the difference.  If you're used to being an overachiever and fighting for everything you've ever accomplished in life, it can be harder to give up and go find a new dream than to stay and fight, just because you've invested so much already and don't want to think of yourself as a quitter.

RE: Query My Quote! - Dr. Jezebel - 10-16-2017

"All you need is love." -The Beatles

RE: Query My Quote! - The Inimitable Lady Semp - 10-16-2017

BRO, Josh and I are of the same mind; I had the same question. Also, what if I had a bad wife? Would I then become a philosopher?

Workin' Mama, Chan is a religious writer. I started reading one of his books a while back. I find that quote rather dubious when not in any context. My response is sometimes there's nothing left to give, and even if there is, maybe it's time to stop giving to what is essentially a bottomless pit. Also, my FB profile picture has another take on your "what doesn't kill you" quote. Unfortunately, this is a family show and I respectfully decline to state how my version finishes that statement.

Dr J, love is nice, but sometimes money helps. Of course, without love, money is nothing but at least you can worry less.

RE: Query My Quote! - Miss TTU Runner-Up - 10-16-2017

Hmmm...
No love + no money = very unhappy (sorry, Beatles)
No love + some money = generally unhappy
No love + lots of money = tolerable (just ask Melania Trump!)

RE: Query My Quote! - Miss TTU Runner-Up - 10-16-2017

Ok, I shouldn’t assume. The Trumps may be madly in love with each other.

RE: Query My Quote! - Workin' Mama - 10-17-2017

Just the thought of someone being in love with Trump makes me want to puke, LOL.