SFL Forum
Politicians need to stop gambling lives - Printable Version

+- SFL Forum (http://www.sflforums.com)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Politics and Current Events (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Politicians need to stop gambling lives (/showthread.php?tid=9690)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Politicians need to stop gambling lives - James33 - 10-04-2017

And pass some common sense gun laws.

RE: Politicians need to stop gambling lives - SpurgeonGeneral - 10-05-2017

(10-04-2017, 01:20 PM)James33 Wrote: And pass some common sense gun laws.

Troll.

RE: Politicians need to stop gambling lives - captain_solo - 10-05-2017

"Gun Control" = Racism

RE: Politicians need to stop gambling lives - Josh - 10-05-2017

I honestly don't know what kind of policies should be adopted; I simply believe that this is something that we as a society should be able to have a conversation about. Whenever a mass shooting occurs, there's always a contingent who exclaims "Don't politicize this! Now's not the time to talk about policy!" Of course, for them, there's never a right time to talk about policy, so I don't find that command particularly compelling.

All I will say is that I'm going to have a hard time not flipping my shit if I hear another one of my very conservative friends say that fully automatic weapons should be legal for the average person to own (they have advocated for this in the past).

Here's how I would respond if I weren't positive this post was a lousy attempt at trolling:

Murder is illegal.

A criminal who breaks this law will also break any and every "common sense gun law".

RE: Politicians need to stop gambling lives - Josh - 10-05-2017

Murder (and also, destruction of property) is illegal.

Why do we need laws against drunk driving, when criminals will break them anyway, and murder is already illegal?

RE: Politicians need to stop gambling lives - James33 - 10-05-2017

(10-05-2017, 09:43 AM)Josh Wrote: I honestly don't know what kind of policies should be adopted; I simply believe that this is something that we as a society should be able to have a conversation about. Whenever a mass shooting occurs, there's always a contingent who exclaims "Don't politicize this! Now's not the time to talk about policy!" Of course, for them, there's never a right time to talk about policy, so I don't find that command particularly compelling.

All I will say is that I'm going to have a hard time not flipping my shit if I hear another one of my very conservative friends say that fully automatic weapons should be legal for the average person to own (they have advocated for this in the past).

For starters, the bills being proposed on the bump stock should be passed. It's one thing to try and stop the effort to create new/update gun control laws. It's another thing to try and stop an actual discussion and debate about gun control.

(10-05-2017, 01:56 PM)Josh Wrote: Murder (and also, destruction of property) is illegal.

Why do we need laws against drunk driving, when criminals will break them anyway, and murder is already illegal?

Exactly.  We need fewer laws, not more.  Liberty is the freedom to do as one should, not as one wants.

RE: Politicians need to stop gambling lives - myotch - 10-05-2017

If automatic weapons are already illegal, there should be no problem criminalizing items that convert a semi-auto into a fully-automatic weapon. It's not new gun control as much as enforcing existing measures.

RE: Politicians need to stop gambling lives - James33 - 10-05-2017

(10-05-2017, 02:53 PM)myotch Wrote: If automatic weapons are already illegal, there should be no problem criminalizing items that convert a semi-auto into a fully-automatic weapon.  It's not new gun control as much as enforcing existing measures.

It looks like that may be the case. Looks like the NRA might not voice much opposition to this bill.

Liberty also includes freedom from lobbyist and money in politics such as the NRA.