SFL Forum
Life Begins - Printable Version

+- SFL Forum (http://www.sflforums.com)
+-- Forum: Deep Discussions (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Forum: General Theology Discussion and Debate (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Life Begins (/showthread.php?tid=9596)

Pages: 1 2

Life Begins - SpurgeonGeneral - 06-03-2017

Springing off the quip I placed in inane chat, I pose this question.

When does life begin?

RE: Life Begins - myotch - 06-03-2017

Conception is the easy answer: unique DNA in a growing mass that is... well, for humans, that mass is distinctly and unavoidably human. As long as it is growing, it is live and has life, even if it doesn't have awareness.

RE: Life Begins - Miss TTU Runner-Up - 06-03-2017

Honestly, I'm not sure. Definitely early, but I'm not sure if it's at the moment of conception.

RE: Life Begins - myotch - 06-03-2017

The moving target is "viability" - either in meaning or as a good measure of human-ness.

RE: Life Begins - leo the lamb - 06-03-2017

I don't know.

RE: Life Begins - Workin' Mama - 06-04-2017

In all seriousness, I tend to agree with Myotech. But I think I like the follow definition a little better:

A group of community religious leaders all got together to discuss when life begins.

The Catholic priest said, "I believe that life begins at conception."

The Baptist preacher heartily agreed.

The Episcopal priest said, "No, I disagree. Life begins at birth."

The Methodist minister said, "I believe in a more balanced approach. I believe that life begins at five to ten weeks, when the fetal heartbeat can be detected on ultrasound."

The Jewish rabbi just said back in his chair and stroked his beard.

"Well, what do you think?" someone finally asked him.

"You are all wrong," said the rabbi at last. "Life truly begins when your youngest child grows up, leaves home, and takes the dog with him."

RE: Life Begins - rtgmath - 06-04-2017

Considering that between 25% and 35% of all conceptions result in spontaneous (unassisted) abortion within the first few weeks, conception seems a poor choice for a starting date. Jewish tradition has traditionally been that life starts when the baby takes its first breath -- just like Adam. God breathed into Adam the breath of life and that is when he became a living soul.

I find it ironic, though, that so much angst is spent on making laws to make abortion unreachable and health care unaffordable. Republicans seem to delight in making sex and pregnancy to be a sin, and children the consequences of that sin, while at the same time telling us that incest and rape and subsequent penalties are "God's will." And the misbegotten chorus of voices seeking to make life miserable for all but the very rich continues to grow. Make sure the parents make a livable wage? Not a chance? Health care for the child? Price it out of reach! Provide food security? No, if the parents don't make good money, the child should starve. No food stamps. No school lunch.

Anti-abortionists have become, by and large, only pro-birth. They are not pro-life.

RE: Life Begins - myotch - 06-04-2017

Why would the fact that miscarriages happen affect when life begins? Seems a rather arbitrary condition.

Take the abortion debate out of it. As a matter of science, when does life begin? Is there a scientific reason why life doesn't begin with conception?

RE: Life Begins - rsc2a - 06-04-2017

(06-04-2017, 03:14 PM)rtgmath Wrote: ...I find it ironic, though, that so much angst is spent on making laws to make abortion unreachable and health care unaffordable. Republicans seem to delight in making sex and pregnancy to be a sin, and children the consequences of that sin, while at the same time telling us that incest and rape and subsequent penalties are "God's will." And the misbegotten chorus of voices seeking to make life miserable for all but the very rich continues to grow. Make sure the parents make a livable wage? Not a chance? Health care for the child? Price it out of reach! Provide food security? No, if the parents don't make good money, the child should starve. No food stamps. No school lunch.

Anti-abortionists have become, by and large, only pro-birth. They are not pro-life.

And "us vs them" rages on.

RE: Life Begins - pastor's wife - 06-04-2017

I understand the concept of life beginning at conception since that time growth begins and continues. Sometimes I lean toward when the heartbeat begins.