SFL Forum
Patriarchy Debunked - Printable Version

+- SFL Forum (http://www.sflforums.com)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Politics and Current Events (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Patriarchy Debunked (/showthread.php?tid=9591)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Patriarchy Debunked - SpurgeonGeneral - 05-29-2017

Based on liberal logic, that gender is just a social construct, male and female don't actually exist.  Therefore, males cannot systemically oppress females, so patriarchy can't exist.

RE: Patriarchy Debunked - Miss TTU Runner-Up - 05-29-2017

Gender and sex are not the same thing.

RE: Patriarchy Debunked - myotch - 05-29-2017

Yes. Think of 'sex' being a useful determination in science, and 'gender' being a useful determination in grammar and communication.

It's a distinction that may or may not have always existed, but it is a relevant distinction now, if for no other reason than dialogue.

Patriarchy and female oppression exist.

What we think of as "race" is also a social distinction, not a scientific taxonomy. While a racial distinction might not exist in the scientific hierarchy, to argue that "ergo, racism does not exist" would ignore other scholarly and worthwhile disciplines that recognize ethnic races and/or racism as a social issue.

RE: Patriarchy Debunked - SpurgeonGeneral - 05-29-2017

Patriarchy and female oppression DOES certainly exist. Although, I doubt the loudest voices decrying it have ever felt true oppression (think a Muslim wife under sharia law).

For the sake of dialogue, what role would a person with male sex and female gender play in a patriarchal society?

RE: Patriarchy Debunked - myotch - 05-29-2017

Totally depends on the nature of the patriarchal society, the roles, if any, of sex-gender conformists, the societies rules regarding sex, gender roles, sexual expression and practice.

Typically, western societies, until recently, trans-people have been ostracized. In the desert religions, trans were worse off. In some small ancient cultures they may have been treated as deity.

Oppression happens. The degree of oppression might be different in other cultures for different segments. Again, correlate to race - the black denied a hotel stay in the 1950's may not have received the same degree of oppression as a black slave in the 1840's, but it's hard to deny both were gravely oppressed.

"True" is one of those tricky words that can get a lazy mind into trouble without much effort. The woman who cannot get equal pay for equal work, or who is sexually harassed, is as truly oppressed as the Saudi woman who cannot drive a car in her neighborhood even though she has an international drivers license obtained from her many trips to Europe.

RE: Patriarchy Debunked - Miss TTU Runner-Up - 05-29-2017

One need not experience the worst form of oppression to decry it.

RE: Patriarchy Debunked - SpurgeonGeneral - 05-29-2017

(05-29-2017, 08:56 PM)Miss TTU Runner-Up Wrote: One need not experience the worst form of oppression to decry it.

True.  Independent fundamental Baptists decrying Christian persecution are sufficient proof of that statement.

RE: Patriarchy Debunked - Tiarali - 05-30-2017

IFB are not experiencing christian persecution at all. They are merely being told they can no longer discriminate against and abuse others, and they can't handle it.

As a white christian woman in Australia, I was raped by my husband, rebuked for asking people for help because I should not disrespect my husband, and received hate mail when I left him after finding out he'd sexually abused my child.

It's about time the IFB start to realise just how similar they are to Sharia law, especially when they try to influence the laws of their communities.

RE: Patriarchy Debunked - Arch Radish - 05-30-2017

Can we just talk about how Charles H. Spurgeon was a gigantic fucking man whore who ate himself into an early grave and armchair theologians venerate in lieu of using their own brain while using his Victorian visage as some kind of stuff validation for their own psuedofundy bullshit?

Sorry. Just felt like mentioning that for some reason.

RE: Patriarchy Debunked - SpurgeonGeneral - 05-30-2017

(05-30-2017, 06:54 AM)Arch Radish Wrote: Can we just talk about how Charles H. Spurgeon was a gigantic fucking man whore who ate himself into an early grave and armchair theologians venerate in lieu of using their own brain while using his Victorian visage as some kind of stuff validation for their own psuedofundy bullshit?

Sorry. Just felt like mentioning that for some reason.

Between the vulgarities, poor grammar and complete syntax failure, I may have misunderstood your point, AR.

Am I correct in assuming that you feel, because of my screen name, I venerate Charles Spurgeon?  Am I also correct in assuming that you vehemently disagree with my perspective and are voicing that disagreement by spewing vulgarities and insinuated insults?

If these assumptions are correct, you can rest assured that you have derived a faulty conception of who I am and what type of discussion causes me to reevaluate my perspective.  I would ask that you refrain from the baser vulgarities when dialoguing in a thread of mine.  Of course, it's just a request.  You are obviously free to respect that request or disregard it as nonsense.