SFL Forum
Anne with an E - Printable Version

+- SFL Forum (http://www.sflforums.com)
+-- Forum: Fun Stuff (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: TV & Movie Talk (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Anne with an E (/showthread.php?tid=9583)

Anne with an E - First Time Caller - 05-14-2017

I just started watching this on Netflix today.

I wasn't sure about the idea of a remake of Anne of Green Gables.  The 1985 series was perfection.  But I've watched a couple of episodes out of curiosity.

It's so different.  Darker.  Sad.  Two episodes in, the plot is somewhat different.  I'm not sure if I dislike it, or if I just want it to be what I know, and it's not.  

I'm trying to think of whether I would like it, on it's own, if I had no expectations and didn't know the story (or be able to quote half of the old series from memory, like a good fundy.)

Maybe part of the difference is that this version is much more real.  While the Megan Follows Anne was melodramatic, this Anne is traumatized, and her drama and imagination is a means of survival.  The actress who plays her is one of the best child actors I've ever seen. She's amazing.

Still undecided... But will keep watching.

RE: Anne with an E - leo the lamb - 05-15-2017

I'm intrigued. I've been getting increasingly bored with Sense8, and I've finished Penny Dreadful (beautiful series imo), so I think it's time to watch something else.

RE: Anne with an E - pastor's wife - 05-15-2017

I'm intrigued too. I LOVED the Megan Follows version. I'd adored the books as a child/teen. But I myself am older and wiser, not a fundy, not seeking to shelter myself from the world but willing to engage with it, aware of the suffering and desirous of doing my part to help alleviate it. If this version is darker and more real, I'm interested in that perspective.

(I've watched the first couple episodes of Penny Dreadful; it's interesting and visually captures my interest as well. I haven't had too much time for much besides work and my kids lately though.)

RE: Anne with an E - First Time Caller - 05-15-2017

I've watched the first six episodes now. And I think I definitely like it, though it is VERY different.

This is sort of the conclusion I've come to, and it might not make sense to anyone but me...

The Megan Follows version was light, happy, and funny. It was romantic and dreamy, and we all wanted to be Anne, and we all were in love with Gilbert. This version is dark. It's full of Anne's emotional highs and many, many lows. Much of the story is altered, and there are scenes added in that weren't in the old one at all.. those parts don't conflict with the other version, but they just aren't in it. The new version features many scenes with candlelight and darkened rooms. It shows more of the hardships of life. It's more honest about the nature of a child who was unloved and abused.

So... to put them together, I think of Anne's imagination. Her bright imagination and storytelling were her coping mechanism. So, I think of the first version as how she would have told her own story. The newer version is raw, honest, and at times hard to watch... and I think of that as more the "real Anne." Not how she would have told her own story, but how a narrator would tell it.

I haven't read the book, so I can't really say which is more accurate. But they both have different things to offer, and different perspectives. I don't think it has to be either/or... I think in a weird way, they both complement each other quite nicely.

RE: Anne with an E - WalrusWrangler - 05-16-2017

As a kid I read and loved the first book, and I think the second as well. I borrowed a TV miniseries from the library on VHS, as well. I'm not sure if it was the Megan Follows version or the earlier version from the 70s, though. I want to say that it was the earlier one. I had no idea that there were more at the time.

I hadn't thought of Anne of Green Gables in years. I'm curious about the new series, but I don't have a lot of time for new TV shows right now. My Tivo is already near to bursting most of the time.

RE: Anne with an E - leo the lamb - 05-23-2017

I'm watching it, but not in marathon mode or anything. I've been distracting myself with a couple of decent post-apocalyptic zombie-vamp movies (Stake Land I and II), but each time I watch an episode of Anne I really like it. I think you assessed the series very well, FTC. And I think the cast is pretty much perfect, though I've also never read the books but have watched and loved the Megan Follows movies. Not quite sure about Gilbert yet, but I trust he will shine with the rest.

RE: Anne with an E - First Time Caller - 05-24-2017

(05-23-2017, 11:27 PM)leo the lamb Wrote: I'm watching it, but not in marathon mode or anything. I've been distracting myself with a couple of decent post-apocalyptic zombie-vamp movies (Stake Land I and II), but each time I watch an episode of Anne I really like it. I think you assessed the series very well, FTC. And I think the cast is pretty much perfect, though I've also never read the books but have watched and loved the Megan Follows movies. Not quite sure about Gilbert yet, but I trust he will shine with the rest.

Gilbert seems more "real" as well.  He's not the dreamy, perfect character that Crombie played.  He's more average looking, younger, but still seems to have a compassionate heart, which is shown in different ways in this series.

I agree that the characters are well cast.  My personal favorite is Rachel Lynde.  She is a much more well developed character in this version.