SFL Forum
Attending Concerts - Printable Version

+- SFL Forum (http://www.sflforums.com)
+-- Forum: Fundyland (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Fundy Memories (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Attending Concerts (/showthread.php?tid=9568)

Pages: 1 2 3

Attending Concerts - pastor's wife - 04-25-2017

Several of my fb friends have posted something in which they list 10 bands/singers and ask, "Which one have I NOT attended?"  That's a facebook fad that I won't be able to join in.  I've been out of fundamentalism since 2010, but I haven't been to any non-Christian concerts - ever. 

This is one of those things why it helps to have other ex-fundy friends because most people cannot fathom the idea of people not going (or not being allowed to go) to concerts.

RE: Attending Concerts - Josh - 04-25-2017

I know what you mean. I've been to the symphony more than a few times with my parents, but in terms of rock (or otherwise) concerts, they're expensive, so I've only been to one so far.  Blush

RE: Attending Concerts - Papa Bear - 04-26-2017

I took my wife and kids to see Weird Al Yankovic in Milwaukee in 2015. I had been to a few small-scale CCM concerts, but this was my first full-scale rock concert.

RE: Attending Concerts - myotch - 04-26-2017

I'm lucky, I guess.

I've been to:
Mel Tillis (country)
Brian Love + a Beach Boy
Journey, with Glass Tiger
Poison, with Cinderella
Jimmy Page, with Jason Bonham on drums
A couple of others, I think.

I wish I had gone to The Cure or Kiss. I wish I had taken my son to Coheed & Cambria. It would have been a blast to see The Who in their heyday, or Rolling Stones,

I'm looking for an opportunity to take my wife to Depeche Mode somewhere in their American tour.

RE: Attending Concerts - WalrusWrangler - 04-26-2017

I'm with you, PW. I've been out for three years now, and I haven't been to a real concert since. Some friends invited me to see Coldplay once, but my schedule didn't work out.

I went to see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra when I was still in the IFB. It was okay for a lot of people because orchestra and Christmas music, even though they mixed it up with rock. That's the only rock type concert I've attended. I went to see the Legend of Zelda Symphony twice, once in Cincinnati and once in Nashville. I saw The Fellowship of the Ring with an orchestra and choir providing the music here in Raleigh. Crowder played at a missions conference I attended in Nashville, and King's Kaleidoscope played a concert at my church. None of those except TSO (and maybe Crowder) felt like a real concert, though.

I'm not sure which concerts I'd really want to see since I'm still learning my taste in music. I like a lot of songs from different artists, but there aren't many artists whose libraries I'm very familiar with. I like some Taylor Swift songs, some Bruno Mars, some Pink, etc. but I don't know much by them beside what's played on the radio.

RE: Attending Concerts - Dr. Jezebel - 04-26-2017

I just posted about this. I saw The Drifters and Leann Rimes, but only because they were at our county fair & we were walking by.

RE: Attending Concerts - ready_to_leave - 04-26-2017

(04-26-2017, 10:05 AM)myotch Wrote: I'm lucky, I guess.

I've been to:
Mel Tillis (country)
Brian Love + a Beach Boy
Journey, with Glass Tiger
Poison, with Cinderella
Jimmy Page, with Jason Bonham on drums
A couple of others, I think.  

I wish I had gone to The Cure or Kiss.   I wish I had taken my son to Coheed & Cambria.  It would have been a blast to see The Who in their heyday, or Rolling Stones,

I'm looking for an opportunity to take my wife to Depeche Mode somewhere in their American tour.

My husband and I have been going to a lot of concerts the last few years since we made our journey out of Fundy land. Motley Crue with Alice Cooper, Rolling Stones and we took our kids to see Alice Cooper and Guns n Roses last summer. I have also seen the Black Crowes,New Kids on the Block and we saw Aerosmith years ago.

RE: Attending Concerts - Slim - 02-11-2018

Being in fundy land never really put much of a dent in my enthusiasm for music. The Rolling Stones played in Clemson while I was at BJU. I attended the concert. But I was living off-campus by that point.

Keith Richards played in Atlanta while I was still living in the dorms. It didn't stop me. I went to Atlanta and saw my guitar hero. Got a speeding ticket on the way home after the concert somewhere along I-85 in the black Georgia night. Ah, youth!

How I never got kicked out? I don't know. My natural quietness was mistaken for religious piety. I flew under the radar.

The mind melter for me was going to a Grateful Dead concert just a few weeks before showing up at BJU as a freshmen. Now that was worlds apart. And, strangely, to complete the circle, after graduating from BJU I continued to attend the classical offerings at BJU, while I still lived in the area.

But as regards the OP, there was, for a long time, a hole in my knowledge of popular music that coincided with my years in the BJU dorms. Now, or course, I care little about popular music. And don't follow it at all.

RE: Attending Concerts - Neigh I Say - 02-11-2018

The only concert I’ve been to was one at my public school. I don’t recall the band’s name, but they were mostly acapella except for this stick...thing. Anyway, I was horrified by their modern style, and by the fact that they sang a hymn or two and then went straight into a sexual-themed song. XD I mostly just tried to sit there and ignore everything, the concert being required attendance for me since I was in choir.

RE: Attending Concerts - Miss TTU Runner-Up - 02-13-2018

Since leaving Fundyland, I have attended a number of concerts, including several U2 concerts. And Switchfoot. Even went to a CD release party on Beale Street for Skillet. Oh, and the Indigo Girls. Come to think of it, the first three ARE Christian, though not on a Christian label.