SFL Forum
Foods you miss - Printable Version

+- SFL Forum (http://www.sflforums.com)
+-- Forum: Fun Stuff (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Food & Drink (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Foods you miss (/showthread.php?tid=9494)

Pages: 1 2

Foods you miss - First Time Caller - 02-11-2017

I was thinking the other day about foods that I used to enjoy (mainly as a kid) that aren't available anymore.  Thought it might be a fun post to start.  Though, I guess reflecting on what "used to be" and getting nostalgic is a clear sign that I'm getting old.

Anyway - foods I miss:

- Jello Pudding Pops - not the kind they sell in kits in the jello aisle.  The real thing - Chocolate, Vanilla, or Swirl.  Also, the Jello Gelatin pops that came in fruit flavors.  They were smooth and creamy on the inside, and had this perfect thin layer of ice on the outside covering it.

- Fruit Roll Ups - the way they used to be - when the strawberry ones had little strawberry seeds in it, and they were made out of real actual fruit.  They didn't have cut outs or tongue tattoos or other gimmicks, they didn't come in rainbow colors.  They were just fruit.

- Faygo Rock n Rye soda - I'm not even sure how to describe what it tasted like... besides to say that it tasted like Rock n Rye.  It was brownish red, amazing, and pure sugar I'm sure.  Rock n Rye and Red Pop remind me of pajama parties at my friends' houses when I was a kid.  We'd drink way too much of it, and the sugar and caffeine would keep us up all night.

- Sanders Bumpy Cake - Particularly the caramel bumpy cake.  And not the kind they currently sell in the freezer section at grocery stores... it's not the same.  Bumpy cake amazing.  Yellow cake, covered in strips of of cream that made the bumps, and then frosted with the most amazing caramel dressing ever.

- Bill Knapp's restaurant - particularly their Thousand Island salad dressing, biscuits, and chocolate birthday cakes.

RE: Foods you miss - leo the lamb - 02-11-2017

(02-11-2017, 08:27 AM)First Time Caller Wrote: Though, I guess reflecting on what "used to be" and getting nostalgic is a clear sign that I'm getting old.

Shoot, does that mean I've been getting old since my early twenties? Nah, I just don't like change.

Maybe I miss the undiscerning tongue I had that didn't notice the super sugary, starchy, greasy undertones of my favorite junk foods. Most of those are still available, though whether they're 'not the same' because of a more developed palate or cheaper ingredients I'm not sure. There were these rectangular caramel pops that my grandma used to send in packages, don't know if they still exist. She also sent home-baked Russian cookies, for which I will get the recipe some day. Oh, they won't be the same, but I think I can find a pretty good substitute.

RE: Foods you miss - WalrusWrangler - 02-13-2017

My great grandma used to have these things called circus peanuts. They were big, yellow, soft, shaped like peanuts, but didn't taste anything like peanuts. Probably made of pure sugar. I haven't seen those in ages.

RE: Foods you miss - leo the lamb - 02-13-2017

You can still buy Circus Peanuts. I think our dollar stores have them. They are tasty. Cow Tales are another old favorite that is still made.

RE: Foods you miss - First Time Caller - 02-13-2017

I know they sell Circus Peanuts at some gas stations. They are usually on those racks with the little bags of candy (gummy stuff, chocolate raisins, etc) One of my kids got them once. They have a pretty distinct smell.

RE: Foods you miss - Darrell - 02-14-2017

Roti.

Baked breadnuts.

French Cashew.

Fresh Guava.

RE: Foods you miss - WalrusWrangler - 02-14-2017

Hmm, I'll have to look out for some circus peanuts then. I could go for some right now.

RE: Foods you miss - First Time Caller - 02-14-2017

Wow, Darrell. Where did you grow up???

There's this huge international market not too far from where I live. It's kind of a crazy place - so much fun to visit. It's called Jungle Jim's, and we love going there! We like to take the kids just to learn about what people eat in other cultures. I KNOW they have fresh guavas, and I'm pretty sure I've seen French Cashews (never tried them though.) I'm not sure what roti or breadnuts are, but I wouldn't be surprised if they sold them.

RE: Foods you miss - leo the lamb - 02-14-2017

I actually kind of miss white bread and Country Crock, ideally washed down with a cup of sweetened tea w/ milk. I still eat close to the American Recommended Daily Minimum of white bread, but I'm a butter purist now. Tea with milk is still a nice treat. Better yet, with cream.

RE: Foods you miss - Darrell - 02-15-2017

(02-14-2017, 11:52 AM)First Time Caller Wrote: Wow, Darrell.  Where did you grow up???

There's this huge international market not too far from where I live.  It's kind of a crazy place - so much fun to visit. It's called Jungle Jim's, and we love going there! We like to take the kids just to learn about what people eat in other cultures.  I KNOW they have fresh guavas, and I'm pretty sure I've seen French Cashews (never tried them though.)  I'm not sure what roti or breadnuts are, but I wouldn't be surprised if they sold them.

Grenada, West Indies.

Home of so many delicious things.