SFL Forum
Fundy TV - Printable Version

+- SFL Forum (http://www.sflforums.com)
+-- Forum: Fun Stuff (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: TV & Movie Talk (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Fundy TV (/showthread.php?tid=9483)

Fundy TV - Natalie - 02-03-2017

I have to admit, of all the acceptable Fundy shows, I still like watching, "Little House on the Prairie" and "The Waltons".

And even..... *grimace* "Anne of Green Gables"

I do, I do, I can't help it.

RE: Fundy TV - RobMille - 02-03-2017

Consider yourself judged. I'm a huge fan of Green Acres. I'm not sure if it qualified as Fundy TV back in the day (probably not since all TV defaulted to sinful), but it's probably tame enough nowadays to qualify.

RE: Fundy TV - Miss TTU Runner-Up - 02-03-2017

I probably saw every episode of Little House. I also enjoyed Anne of Green Gables.

RE: Fundy TV - leo the lamb - 02-04-2017

I watched little snippets of Little House as a kid but generally thought it boring. I went through the series a few years ago and enjoyed it. I like Anne of Green Gables, too. I even liked the first two Love Comes Softly movies.

RE: Fundy TV - Natalie - 02-04-2017

They did a new Anne of Green Gables that I saw on, I think, the PBS app. It was very good. Martin Sheen played Matthew Cuthbert.

RE: Fundy TV - pastor's wife - 02-04-2017

We didn't have a TV until I was nearly out of high school and even then there weren't a lot of options with only 3 or 4 channels and with my parents closely monitoring it. I never watched The Waltons. I watched a few Little House on the Prairie episodes over the years, but I'd loved the books so much and read and reread them so many times that I preferred my imagination to the TV show! I will admit however that I LOVED the Anne of Green Gables movie. I heard they made a new one but haven't watched it yet.

Most of my adult life in the IFB was spent in more "balanced" circles (and smaller churches too not well-established "kingdoms"), and typically people were pretty normal in real life though they expected church to be traditional. The first church we served in after marriage leaned a little too conservative for us but we were only there three years.

Fundy TV - MyKneesAreShowing - 02-04-2017

I watched some of Anne of Green Gables because I'd read the books so many times, but the books were better. IMHO. like PW, I preferred my imagination. In my family regular movies rated pg13 and even R were ok as long as it was for violence, like war movies. Language and sex were the no-gos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Fundy TV - WalrusWrangler - 02-06-2017

The ultimate fundy approved TV show in my neck of the woods was Andy Griffith. Andy was a wise sage of NC. Most of classic TV Land slash Nick at Night was approved programming: I Love Lucy, Leave It to Beaver, The Brady Bunch, Gilligan's Island, etc. I still enjoy some of those shows, especially Andy Griffith, but I don't watch them too often anymore.

My family was pretty lax about TV in general. Some classic shows were not fundy approved, but my family enjoyed them: All in the Family, Cheers, Three's Company. A lot of fundies watched them, but they didn't always admit it. My family watched contemporary shows of the time, too: King of Queens, Everybody Loves Raymond, and such.

I remember once my youth group visited a small church for their youth rally. They had a skit with a fundy message toward the end, but in the middle they fully cribbed a segment from an Everybody Loves Raymond episode. As far as I know I was the only one who caught on.

RE: Fundy TV - Miss TTU Runner-Up - 02-10-2017

Stuff my mom remembered from her youth was generally considered ok when I was growing up. We watched Perry Mason, I Love Lucy, Gidget, etc. Happy Days was iffy because the Fonz was "rebellious."