SFL Forum
Fundy Habits Die Hard - Printable Version

+- SFL Forum (http://www.sflforums.com)
+-- Forum: Fundyland (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Fundy Memories (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Fundy Habits Die Hard (/showthread.php?tid=9442)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Fundy Habits Die Hard - Papa Bear - 01-15-2017

Now and then, I'll find myself doing something for no good reason, and realize it's an old habit from my IFB upbringing. For example, after filling out an online form, I still cringe before I click "Submit".

RE: Fundy Habits Die Hard - Natalie - 01-16-2017

Old fundy habit: I have a shirt that has a ballet neckline and it likes to slip over my shoulders. So, I pin it to my bra strap. 

I probably shouldn't have mentioned that in mixed company so the fellas won't defraud, but the fact that I'm wearing anything with a ballet neckline means I'm a hussy anyway, so whatever.

RE: Fundy Habits Die Hard - Josh - 01-16-2017

I chuckle to myself every time I click on "Submit." You could say it's a coping mechanism to a vestigial IFB trigger.

I still feel a little rebellious and badass when I wear a baseball cap backwards, because that was verboten. The same goes for wearing a sleeveless shirt in public.

I still feel a tinge of guilt every year when I get to December 31st and have finished very little of a read-through-the-Bible-in-a-year plan (I finally quit trying, but still feel the guilt for not starting in the first place).

RE: Fundy Habits Die Hard - BigRed1 - 01-16-2017

...except now I never use the term "fundamentalism" in a positive or profitable context. It died hard for sure, but die it did for me in 2012. I scattered the ashes over the barren landscape caused by this spiritual holocaust.

RE: Fundy Habits Die Hard - First Time Caller - 01-16-2017

I still cringe when I see any book (or anything else) sitting on top of a Bible. Am I the only one who was taught that the Bible should never have anything on top of it, because it is disrespectful to it?

I'm sure there are others, but this is the first that came to mind.

RE: Fundy Habits Die Hard - Natalie - 01-16-2017

(01-16-2017, 10:47 PM)First Time Caller Wrote: I still cringe when I see any book (or anything else) sitting on top of a Bible.  Am I the only one who was taught that the Bible should never have anything on top of it, because it is disrespectful to it?

I'm sure there are others, but this is the first that came to mind.

Yeeeep

RE: Fundy Habits Die Hard - Josh - 01-16-2017

(01-16-2017, 10:47 PM)First Time Caller Wrote: I still cringe when I see any book (or anything else) sitting on top of a Bible. 

I also.  Blush

RE: Fundy Habits Die Hard - leo the lamb - 01-17-2017

(01-16-2017, 10:47 PM)First Time Caller Wrote: I still cringe when I see any book (or anything else) sitting on top of a Bible.  Am I the only one who was taught that the Bible should never have anything on top of it, because it is disrespectful to it?

I wasn't taught this explicitly, but I was a good enough fundy kid that I recognized the unwritten rule and felt a bit of guilt (also if the bible had a noticeable layer of dusf on it). Now, I still feel the slightest conviction when I see a random bible 'disrespected' in these ways, but my own KJV... it sits in my closet where it's hardly been touched in a few years. There's a smaller bible on top along with a ziploc of bandaids, I think.

RE: Fundy Habits Die Hard - Natalie - 01-17-2017

Derail Alert:

Speaking of, I don't usually bring a Bible anymore to church, because they usually put the passages on the screen anyway. And, the churches I go to now don't use the KJV. 

If I would, I certainly wouldn't bring my big ol' Scofield, but would prob bring something that would fit in my purse. 

Back in the day, I had one of those ladylike, proper fundy womanly floral Bible covers with the handles, complete with pockets for hankys.

RE: Fundy Habits Die Hard - pastor's wife - 01-17-2017

My parents were very strict about putting never putting any book on top of a Bible (except another Bible). I still have my Scofield reference Bible my parents gave me in high school; it's not as giant as others and has a burgundy cover. I really love that Bible. I prefer reading the NLT today though. I usually use a Bible app on my phone when I'm in church if I do at all, since the verses are on the screen.

Fundy tendencies: I skipped church Sunday to do something fun with friends, but I wouldn't post any pictures of what we were doing until the afternoon because I didn't want to be judged for not being in church on Sunday morning. Wouldn't you think I'd be past my fear of what people think of me?