SFL Forum
Confession - Printable Version

+- SFL Forum (http://www.sflforums.com)
+-- Forum: Fun Stuff (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Music Talk (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Confession (/showthread.php?tid=9415)

Confession - Natalie - 12-22-2016

I still like Southern Gospel music. I know, I know, I KNOW! But, I still do. Probably always will.

RE: Confession - Ricardo - 12-23-2016

Music is exempt, in my book.

My mom and I agreed to refrain from theological discussions decades ago. (We disagreed diametrically) and yet, we would sing together, thru skype, the old hymns.

I could tear apart the theology espoused by many of these songs, but the music keeps coming back over and over.

It is not a matter of like or love (which I do.) This music is inextricably melded into who I am.

RE: Confession - Dr. Jezebel - 12-23-2016

I love the Southern Gospel sound, for sure.

RE: Confession - leo the lamb - 12-24-2016

I like a few of the Russian hymns, and used to kind of enjoy singing with my oldest brother's family (I didn't join in the last few times we were together).

RE: Confession - pastor's wife - 12-24-2016

I am putting on my boots and going to the store to buy alcohol and nutmeg to add to my eggnog. My soon-to-be ex-husband (his choice) will be taking the kids for part of the day tomorrow leaving me alone so I think I'm going to get . . .

OK, you THOUGHT I was going to write "drunk" or "hammered", didn't you?

Haha. No.

I think I'm going to get something outside the box to indulge myself a little bit.

RE: Confession - First Time Caller - 12-24-2016

(12-24-2016, 03:09 PM)pastor Wrote: I am putting on my boots and going to the store to buy alcohol and nutmeg to add to my eggnog.  My soon-to-be ex-husband (his choice) will be taking the kids for part of the day tomorrow leaving me alone so I think I'm going to get . . .

OK, you THOUGHT I was going to write "drunk" or "hammered", didn't you?

Haha.  No.

I think I'm going to get something outside the box to indulge myself a little bit.

Ha!  Yes, I DID think you were going to write "drunk."   I wasn't sure whether to cheer for you, or to worry about you!!  

Let us know how the eggnog turns out!

Confession - thebottomline - 03-20-2018

I'm a Southern Gospel junkie. If a Christian song can't be placed under another genre, it gets labeled SG. I thank its the most versatile, with multiple influences.

That being said, it’s not the most sound and can get confusing. However, many popular artists have a background singing it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Confession - WalrusWrangler - 03-21-2018

I'm still not sure how to distinguish the music my old IFB church used. Most of what they played had a distinct style that was different from more produced Southern Gospel like Brian Free and Assurance, The Crabb Family, Gold City, etc. I have a certain nostalgia for it still, but being more distant from it now, I just don't really care for it anymore. Unfortunately, my old church pushed their stuff (and stuff from friend churches) over more professional Southern gospel. They took songs from Southern gospel artists and redid them in their own style, and even did the same with some CCM. Here are some examples:

The Ninety and Nine (an original song by a guy at a "friend church")
I Believe God (Southern Gospel song by Brian Free and Assurance)
Who Am I (CCM song from Casting Crowns, "cleaned up" for the IFB)

Fun fact: I am singing in all three videos, though as part of the backing choir.

I do still adore bluegrass gospel, though. My old church featured it, and we had several groups come through for singings. I didn't realize how much I missed it until I was at a bluegrass festival last year and heard a group singing some bluegrass gospel.