SFL Forum
SFL: Ineffective Marketing - Printable Version

+- SFL Forum (http://www.sflforums.com)
+-- Forum: Fundyland (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Fundy Memories (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: SFL: Ineffective Marketing (/showthread.php?tid=9263)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

SFL: Ineffective Marketing - Miss TTU Runner-Up - 08-02-2016

I was driving by a baptist church today that was advertising special meetings on their sign.  The name of the special speaker was on the sign, as though that would somehow encourage passers by to change their evening plans.  My old church did this and I never understood it even back then.  Why would you advertise a revival (or whatever) with the name of a person no one has ever heard of?  I mean, half the time even the people in my church didn't know the guy, so how would it impress anyone else or encourage them to attend?

RE: SFL: Ineffective Marketing - blazer1set - 08-03-2016

How about because we have always done it this way?

RE: SFL: Ineffective Marketing - captain_solo - 08-03-2016

Because when you evaluate results, the whole purpose of many of these ministries is to lift up a man, not God.   

Even a church's marketing philosophy tells you something about what they value and how they communicate colors and influences the message subtly.  

"Revival meetings" in the distant past were a community event, something that would bring in visitors.  Why do you think so many churches have changed them to be "fellowship meetings" or some such...its because they (the "committed core") are the only people showing up, so the "revival starts with us" stuff and all that.  Its not that they want it to be like that, they wish they could go all Billy Graham on your ass, but it just doesn't pan out that way because 99.5% of the people in the community don't have any idea what a revival meeting is or who these speakers are.   Even an extensive (and offensive) door to door marketing campaign will only bring in a couple people at most, these techniques do not work any more and they are evidence of a huge lack of cultural awareness.    

Its still better than the bait and switch methods of many churches, at least they are being up front about what it is, but the reason an evangelist's name is on the board is because at some level, the name of the Mog is what is being lifted up.  Might not come right out and say it, but the  practical results of this kind of gospel presentation should be evident to anyone who has even a tiny amount of self-awareness.   

I remember a long time ago, Steve Pettit was doing these huge stadium type revival meetings.  Extensive ground work by lots of large churches in a couple different metro areas, all kinds of cooperation largely unseen in the fundy world (including coercion by the big name guys to smaller churches to help fund the whole thing) and after it was done my wife and I remarked that almost everyone who was there was from one of those fundy churches.  Huge amounts of money, time, effort, marketing, etc.   Almost entirely wasted on people who were already in the camp.   I honestly don't think Pettit was about his own name and self-promotion, he was always a pretty humble guy especially compared to most fundy evangelists, but the whole thing was so forced.  I remember thinking it was outside the box at the time, and it was in fundy circles, but that just shows how little and confining that box really was.   

At least with Pettit you knew the music was going to be good.

RE: SFL: Ineffective Marketing - James33 - 08-03-2016

(08-02-2016, 10:21 PM)Miss TTU Runner-Up Wrote: I was driving by a baptist church today that was advertising special meetings on their sign.  The name of the special speaker was on the sign, as though that would somehow encourage passers by to change their evening plans.  My old church did this and I never understood it even back then.  Why would you advertise a revival (or whatever) with the name of a person no one has ever heard of?  I mean, half the time even the people in my church didn't know the guy, so how would it impress anyone else or encourage them to attend?

I never understood any church that had these types of signs in this modern world. Most churches here in California got rid of those signs and simply have a church sign that is modern and in many cases pretty to look at.

RE: SFL: Ineffective Marketing - Miss TTU Runner-Up - 08-03-2016

Here in the Bible Belt, those "clever" sayings are, quite literally, on every corner. They could be the subject of a whole other blog. Some of them are theologically questionable at best and downright heretical at worst.

RE: SFL: Ineffective Marketing - WalrusWrangler - 08-04-2016

(08-03-2016, 08:20 PM)Miss TTU Runner-Up Wrote: Here in the Bible Belt, those "clever" sayings are, quite literally, on every corner.   They could be the subject of a whole other blog.  Some of them are theologically questionable at best and downright heretical at worst.

That's my experience as well. One church near me (no idea whether it's fundy, but it's a small Baptist church) recently changed it's sign to say, "Thou shalt not kill." I have no idea why. I mean, that's scripture, but I'm not sure how that's edifying or instructive to passersby. 

The church where I grew up updated to a digital sign a couple years back. At first the guy in charge of it tried doing fancy stuff that made it unreadable. Now it's just straight text, no background or anything. I'm not around often enough to see what it says. 

My current church doesn't even have a changeable sign. They just have a sign by the road with the church name on it. It's nice.

RE: SFL: Ineffective Marketing - Miss TTU Runner-Up - 08-04-2016

Today I saw one near my work with this message:

God's garden
Lettuce be thankful
Squash rumors
Turnip for worship

Seriously. It says that. My current church doesn't have a changeable sign either, thank goodness.

RE: SFL: Ineffective Marketing - myotch - 08-04-2016

Rated PG13, and probably only humorous to 13 year olds, and me.
Spoiler:
[Image: Church-Sign-Fails-1-685x346.jpg?5dcb05]

RE: SFL: Ineffective Marketing - Miss TTU Runner-Up - 08-04-2016

Poor Easter.

RE: SFL: Ineffective Marketing - Miss TTU Runner-Up - 09-16-2016

Another ridiculous sign in front of the Baptist church near my school:

Choose the Bread of Life
Or you will be toast.