SFL Forum
Runners Unite! - Printable Version

+- SFL Forum (http://www.sflforums.com)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Inane Chat (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Runners Unite! (/showthread.php?tid=7942)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Runners Unite! - MyKneesAreShowing - 09-02-2014

I didn't see a topic on this so in my post-run high (yay endorphins) I decided to start one. Smile

Who runs? Are you training for something? What do you love/hate about it?

I run a lot, although I'm not particularly fast. I'm currently training for my 6th half marathon in about 6 weeks. Hoping for a nice PR, since my last half was hilly and this one is all downhill.

RE: Runners Unite! - WalrusWrangler - 09-02-2014

I run! Back in college I ran a mile four or so times a week. I had a 7:15 mile, and I ran a hilly 5k in 29:27. Then I pretty much stopped for several years due to leaving college and entering the job world. I joined a run club a couple of months ago, though. We meet three times a week and run between two and three miles. I haven't been a lot lately due to sinus issues, but I'm starting to get back in the habit. I have a 5k later this month that I need to prepare for. My goal right now is to be able to run an entire 5k without stopping to walk, but I don't think I'll get there before the actual 5k race.

You can do it! 5k's are fun. If you want to run the whole way you may need to slow down a bit. In general, the longer you go the slower you should go. Not drastically slower, just a few seconds per mile difference will help.

RE: Runners Unite! - co_heir - 09-02-2014

I was a sprinter through high school and college, then for a couple years after graduation. I have run off and on through the years, although it's been more off the last twenty. I've started on the Couch to 5K program and hopefully I can get back to running on a regular basis.

(09-02-2014, 11:27 AM)co_heir Wrote: I was a sprinter through high school and college, then for a couple years after graduation. I have run off and on through the years, although it's been more off the last twenty. I've started on the Couch to 5K program and hopefully I can get back to running on a regular basis.

The couch to 5k program is what got me started a couple of years ago.

RE: Runners Unite! - WalrusWrangler - 09-02-2014

(09-02-2014, 10:15 AM)MyKneesAreShowing Wrote: You can do it! 5k's are fun. If you want to run the whole way you may need to slow down a bit. In general, the longer you go the slower you should go. Not drastically slower, just a few seconds per mile difference will help.

That's my plan. I tend to try to keep up with the leaders during run club, and that works for the first mile. Then I need to start alternating between walking and running for the second mile. For the actual 5K race I'm not going to try to keep up with anyone. I'm also going to adopt that strategy for run club for the next few weeks. I'd like to push myself for better times eventually, but right now I'd prefer to work towards a more consistent pace.

RE: Runners Unite! - dramaturge - 09-02-2014

I run. I hate it, but I hate the way I feel when I don't run even more. I play soccer, so my running program is off-season only, endurance intervals. I used to do more long-distance, and I might get back to that at some point.

RE: Runners Unite! - Lady Julian - 09-02-2014

(09-02-2014, 06:55 AM)MyKneesAreShowing Wrote: I run a lot, although I'm not particularly fast. I'm currently training for my 6th half marathon in about 6 weeks. Hoping for a nice PR, since my last half was hilly and this one is all downhill.

Wow, good for you! And here I was all pumped about running my second half, which I did yesterday.

I'm still pumped. Big Grin Ran a new PR, which was totally unexpected since I hadn't run more than 10 miles in a month and Miles 10-12 were up this killer hill. But I came in a full seven minutes faster than my last, at 1.41.

I did my first marathon in June, and I'd like to do another one - but I don't like how marathon training takes over my life.

RE: Runners Unite! - Lady Julian - 09-02-2014

(09-02-2014, 12:32 PM)MyKneesAreShowing Wrote:
(09-02-2014, 11:27 AM)co_heir Wrote: I was a sprinter through high school and college, then for a couple years after graduation. I have run off and on through the years, although it's been more off the last twenty. I've started on the Couch to 5K program and hopefully I can get back to running on a regular basis.

The couch to 5k program is what got me started a couple of years ago.

I have a friend who picked up running via the Couch to 5K program. Since she's someone I never thought would be into running or exercise, and now she can't get enough of running, I'm a fan of Couch 2 5K.

(09-02-2014, 05:50 PM)Lady Julian Wrote:
(09-02-2014, 06:55 AM)MyKneesAreShowing Wrote: I run a lot, although I'm not particularly fast. I'm currently training for my 6th half marathon in about 6 weeks. Hoping for a nice PR, since my last half was hilly and this one is all downhill.

Wow, good for you! And here I was all pumped about running my second half, which I did yesterday.

I'm still pumped. Big Grin Ran a new PR, which was totally unexpected since I hadn't run more than 10 miles in a month and Miles 10-12 were up this killer hill. But I came in a full seven minutes faster than my last, at 1.41.

I did my first marathon in June, and I'd like to do another one - but I don't like how marathon training takes over my life.

You finished your second half marathon in 1:41?!?! Wow! And congrats on the PR. Those make the training worth it, at least for me.