SFL Forum
I Have A Dream - Printable Version

+- SFL Forum (http://www.sflforums.com)
+-- Forum: Deep Discussions (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Forum: Believer Safespace (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: I Have A Dream (/showthread.php?tid=7911)

I Have A Dream - BigRed1 - 08-24-2014

“I have a dream that one day the church of Jesus Christ will rise up to her God-given calling and begin to live out the true meaning of her identity- which is, the very heartthrob of God Almighty- the fiancee of the King of Kings.

“I have a dream that Jesus Christ will one day be the Head of His church again. Not in pious rhetoric, but in reality.

“I have a dream that groups of Christians everywhere will begin to flesh out the New Testament reality that the church is a living organism and not an institutional organization.

“I have a dream that the clergy/laity divide will someday be an antique of church history, and the Lord Jesus Himself will replace the moss-laden system of human hierarchy that has usurped His authority among His people.

“I have a dream that multitudes of God’s people will no longer tolerate those man-made systems that have put them in religious bondage and under a pile of guilt, duty, condemnation, making them slaves to authoritarian systems and leaders.

“I have a dream that the centrality and supremacy of Jesus Christ will be the focus, the mainstay, and the pursuit of every Christian and every church. And that God’s dear people will no longer be obsessed with spiritual and religious things to the point of division. but that their obsession and pursuit would be a person – the Lord Jesus Christ.

“I have a dream that countless churches will be transformed from high-powered business organizations into spiritual families- authentic Christ-centered communities- where the members know one another intimately, love one another unconditionally, bleed for one another deeply and rejoice with one another unfailingly.

“I have a dream today…”

by Frank Viola from “Reimagining Church: Pursuing the Dream of Organic Christianity.” Page 27

RE: I Have A Dream - BigRed1 - 08-24-2014

This is the thing about "dreams," either they are goofy expressions of some twisted "reality" or, like men and women who've longed for some change, they are desires of a reality that is not yet experienced. This is the way I feel about "church" as I've known it my whole life.

It's not just fundystan I'm talking about, but the institutional church that has governed our way of thinking and practicing how we function together as believers in the context of what the New Testament calls the "ekklesia," the church.

B.R.O.

RE: I Have A Dream - Bald Jones Grad - 08-24-2014

Judging from history, this dream, while wonderful, will be unrealized. People naturally divide themselves into "us" and "them" groups. Then they continually subdivide.

RE: I Have A Dream - BigRed1 - 08-24-2014

(08-24-2014, 11:35 AM)Bald Jones Grad Wrote: Judging from history, this dream, while wonderful, will be unrealized. People naturally divide themselves into "us" and "them" groups. Then they continually subdivide.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

I believe Paul addresses this subdividing in 1st Corinthians, so you're right in that history proves your point. What is interesting, though, is that the church is not natural in the earthly sense and is not governed by what people naturally do. It's supposed to be governed by the Spirit of God and the head is Jesus Christ. That's much different that the corporation model of doing church, as exemplified by my former fundy CEO and the system of which you and I are quite familiar!

RE: I Have A Dream - The Inimitable Lady Semp - 04-04-2017

I have unilaterally declared this as Thread Necromancy Day!

RE: I Have A Dream - BigRed1 - 11-24-2017

What a dreamer I was.

This ain't happening, folks.  I'll have to concede to BaldJonesgrad's assessments.  

Even if it could happen, groups of Christians fleshing out the New Testament "reality," what difference would it make in the world at large?  This all is assuming certain "realities."

I am now convinced of this one thing;  Christianity is a moving target, along with religion as a whole.

B.R.1

RE: I Have A Dream - myotch - 11-24-2017

Can I agree with you and still claim Christianity, religion, etc?

I sometimes think of Christianity in terms of "the big reveal" moment in the movie Momento. Spoiler: the protagonist has fulfilled his purpose, not now with the blood practically dripping from his hands and a body on the floor, but long ago, and he is unable to realise it. He just keeps reading the clues he gave himself in tattoos in order to fulfill his purpose the first time, and no one gave his a "completed" stamp. Still yet, his poor memory and tattooed mission makes him vulnerable to manipulation.

I'm not saying all the world has heard of Christ, or that there is no poverty for the faithful to address. But I am referring to an ever refreshing younger generation, manipulable, excited by the tribalism of sects, with no memory of manipulators or manipulations, responding to the strong and charismatic. The message they receive doesn't even have to be malignant, just perhaps off by a degree or two.

And the degree for the past generation. And two degrees for the generation before that. How many generations have to accumulate degrees off course before the trajectory changes the destination. How many course corrections overcompensated by degrees off of their own. A thousand little popes off by degrees, imperfect, fallible.

I still have hope. But I'm watching the skies get darker.

RE: I Have A Dream - Papa Bear - 11-26-2017