SFL Forum
Keeping score - Printable Version

+- SFL Forum (http://www.sflforums.com)
+-- Forum: Fun Stuff (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Sports Talk (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Thread: Keeping score (/showthread.php?tid=7657)

Pages: 1 2

Keeping score - Natalie - 06-11-2014

If you know me for two minutes, you know I like baseball. Live baseball preferably. But, I also like keeping score manually. The old-fashioned way. I have my own system that I've created from grabbing ideas from different people but also adding my own.

It's a dying art form. My husband says I'm the only one he knows that does it.

Is there anyone here, besides me, who does this? I'm curious.

RE: Keeping score - Carchemish - 06-12-2014

I love baseball too and the idea has always appealed to me. The place we hope to move (back) to within a couple years has a minor league team and I plan to go with my kids as finances allow. I'd love to be one of the people the radio announcer talks about when he says, "For those of you keeping score at home, that was ruled an error."

RE: Keeping score - RobMille - 06-12-2014

YES! I LOVE to keep score! I haven't been able to go to many games the last few years since no longer live in a major league team city, but I do love it. Love asking neighbors at the park who got what while I was at the restroom, love trying to remember how the baseball got tossed around on bizarre plays and trying to recreate the FO in my head before it gets posted on a board. Love how when I'm scoring the game, I recognize much better situational hitting & defense, etc. If you don't score the game, you are missing half the fun at the ball park!

I just texted a non baseball female friend of mine (who loves Pedro Alvarez) last night when he made a throwing error "E5", cause I knew she would be baffled as to what that meant. LOL

RE: Keeping score - Natalie - 06-12-2014

I went to a game the other night and caught an error on the official scorekeeper's fault. HF said I should go tell them... Hehe. They caught it during the next inning. I read that's common, though.

I usually ignore all the between inning entertainment while I tally my innings.

(06-12-2014, 07:50 AM)RobMille Wrote: I just texted a non baseball female friend of mine (who loves Pedro Alvarez) last night when he made a throwing error "E5", cause I knew she would be baffled as to what that meant. LOL

The position numbers were the hardest for me to memorize. For a while, I had to count them up to get their number. I knew the pattern, but hadn't memorized the actual numbers yet. I eventually learn to associate them. For instance, 7 is an upside down L, so that's the Left fielder. 6 starts with an S, so Shortstop.

Here's the real question: Do you mark a walk a "BB" or "W"? I do "W".

RE: Keeping score - WalrusWrangler - 06-12-2014

I used to keep the books for my high school baseball team. I'd even draw a line across small pictures of the diamond to indicate the path the ball took when hit. I'm not really a baseball fan, but I enjoyed keeping the books. They even gave me a jersey with the pi symbol as the number.

I use BB for Base on Balls when a batter walks.

I try to squeeze in when a runner advances how he advanced on a 1B, 2B, BB, 3B, HR, SB, etc, some of those advancing on a FC can be tricky to fit in on a player advancing. One of my favorite is what I put as a "LIDP" (lined into double play) such as a night or 2 ago when Pirates rookie Polanco started heading home from 3B, execpt the 2B caught the line drive and got an easy 4-5 Lineout, throw'em out DP.

I like to record outs as GO6-3 (Ground Out), LO8 (Line Out CF), PO6 (pop out SS), I use forward & backwards Ks for swinging or looking, and I haven't figured out a good notation for when a pitcher tries to bunt with 2 strikes and Ks instead.

K doesn't seem harsh enough for failure to get a bunt down.

Hilars on your pneumonic/etc devices to remember the position numbers.

(06-12-2014, 09:26 AM)Natalie Wrote:
(06-12-2014, 07:50 AM)RobMille Wrote: I just texted a non baseball female friend of mine (who loves Pedro Alvarez) last night when he made a throwing error "E5", cause I knew she would be baffled as to what that meant. LOL

The position numbers were the hardest for me to memorize. For a while, I had to count them up to get their number. I knew the pattern, but hadn't memorized the actual numbers yet. I eventually learn to associate them. For instance, 7 is an upside down L, so that's the Left fielder. 6 starts with an S, so Shortstop.

Here's the real question: Do you mark a walk a "BB" or "W"? I do "W".

I mark each advance as to how it was advanced. W, FC, S for steal, HbP for hit by pitch, etc. I mark them in whatever corner for that advance. And, if an error causes a batter to get on first, I mark an E and the position of the player who the error was on next to that advancement in the runner's box.

I do something similar when it comes to batters and runners. Let me use my darling Braves as an example. Say, Heyward is batting but grounds out. I mark inside the diamond in his box a G and the number of the lucky position who caught it. Then I mark what out it was in the bottom left of his box and circle it. So, let's say that was the third out. Freeman is on 3rd. He got a double then stole 3rd (can you tell who my favorite player is?). But Heyward grounded out, so on Freeman's box between 3rd and home, I'll mark a perpendicular slash and mark a 22 (Heyward's jersey no.) next to it.

I do the K's, too, and mark what out it was on the bottom left.

RE: Keeping score - Scorpio - 06-18-2014

Natalie - you know I love to score. Tongue