SFL Forum
John R. Rice - Printable Version

+- SFL Forum (http://www.sflforums.com)
+-- Forum: Fundyland (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Fundy Theology: Serious Business (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: John R. Rice (/showthread.php?tid=334)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

John R. Rice - TruthSeeker - 01-25-2011

Can you share something about John R. Rice? Till this day I have respected him I think he was sincere. I have heard many criticism about Jack Hyles but not about Rice.

If anyone needs to warn me about John R. Rice please tell me why you don't recommend his books or where do you disagree with him.

RE: John R. Rice - Abdiel - 01-25-2011

(01-25-2011, 10:42 PM)TruthSeeker Wrote: Can you share something about John R. Rice? Till this day I have respected him I think he was sincere. I have heard many criticism about Jack Hyles but not about Rice.

If anyone needs to warn me about John R. Rice please tell me why you don't recommend his books or where do you disagree with him.

Sincere I'll give him.

Get a hold of a copy of Dr. Rice Here is My Question and the sequel and that should seal it for you.

His answers to questions about swimming with blacks, attending the opera and others issues will curl your hair at worst and have you shaking your head at best.

RE: John R. Rice - elfdream - 01-26-2011

I don't think he personally had any scandal attached to him.

The Sword of the Lord did re-print many of Spurgeon's sermons but I heard they edited out many of his Calvinistic statements. I personally don't care if Spurgeon was Calvinist or not but they should have been more upfront and honest about it. Someone else here might know more about that and can speak to it.

Interestingly enough his daughter Elizabeth Handford and her husband Walt have been decried as liberal by some fundamentalist leaders. They apparently associate with the wrong people.

RE: John R. Rice - oldendays - 01-26-2011

He wasn't KJVO, and he resisted Ruckman for years. KJVOism only creeped into the camp when Hyles later needed something to attract a following with (and/or divert attention from the Dave Hyles scandal, depending on who you ask).
The Sword held out against full KJVOism for years until the last year or two of Curtis Hutson's life. The sewage dump that was Riplinger's "New Age Bible Versions" turned Hutson although some report that he later changed his mind just before his death.

RE: John R. Rice - TruthSeeker - 01-26-2011

It appears to me like John R Rice was solid doctrinally but perhaps not so Biblical with his "application" of scripture. Perhaps this is true of most IFB pastors. Now, I don't understand why Rice and Jack Hyles were very good friends. I know Rice disagreed with Hyles on "storehouse tithing" and "KJV Onlyism". I believe though I could be mistaken that Rice taught "repentance" for salvation and did not hold to "easy believism" like Jack Hyles. Yet did still fellowship with each other.

Rice comments about not swimming with blacks is interesting. I believe I also read that Rice is not for interracial marriages either. This is what I'm looking for does Rice have other weird views like this? No one has exposed Rice online so I thought he was right on.

Rice was before my time so I appreciate any comments about what type of man he was outside the pulpit. I believe there are no scandals attached to him but was he a legalist? Please explain why.

RE: John R. Rice - elfdream - 01-26-2011

There was also some kind of rift between Rice and Bob Jones. Seems he directed people toward Tennessee Temple or something.

RE: John R. Rice - exIFB - 01-26-2011

Hyles wasn't KJVO. Around the time of the Hyles Scandal, he decided to become KJVO to take the attention of that scandal. At least, that is the opinion of my previous pastor who was at HAC during the scandal.

RE: John R. Rice - TruthSeeker - 01-26-2011

Yes I heard there was a the rift between Rice and Bob Jones but don't know the details. I know there was also a rift between Rice and Frank Norris. I believe Norris called Rice a "Charistmatic". I read Rice's book and he believed that "tongues speaking" could be done today. Rice also believed that the baptism of the Holy Spirit and the filling of the Holy Spirit were the same thing.

I know Darrell recently posted a youtube video of Rice at a confederence. Many believe that Rice and perhaps most IFB pastors are too hard on child discipline. I'm loving this forum as I finally feel like can talk to people who are or were IFB's. Keep your comments coming. Thanks!!

RE: John R. Rice - Elijah Craig - 01-26-2011

Rice was a man trapped in the Southern Baptist Tennessee circa 1910. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and believe that he was naive about what went on around him. The previous comments about Rice being better than Hutson, etc., are on the mark. I took a few days one summer when I was off work and sat in a seminary library reading every issue of the Sword of the Lord from 1955 to 1995. The quality of the SOTL dropped enormously when JRR passed and then again when Shelton Smith took over. The SOTL used to publish sermons by Southern Baptists and report accurately about what went on in the SBC. Under Smith the reporting on the SBC is pure BS.

RE: John R. Rice - TruthSeeker - 01-29-2011

"I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and believe that he was NAIVE about what went on around him."

Can you please give me some examples, how was Rice naive about what went on around him?