SFL Forum
Greg Locke no longer IFB - Printable Version

+- SFL Forum (http://www.sflforums.com)
+-- Forum: Fundyland (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Fundy Theology: Serious Business (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Greg Locke no longer IFB (/showthread.php?tid=1509)

Pages: 1 2

Greg Locke no longer IFB - ex-fundy youth pastor - 06-07-2011

Very interesting debate going on over at Greg Locke's FB page about his church replacing the name "Baptist" with "Bible". Here is his statement:

"
We realize that this decision will invite much criticism, but we must move forward in an effort to reach our hurting community for Christ. This has been months in the making. This has been a unanimous decision on the part of our church family. It doesnt have to be the same decision that you would make. However, it is ours and we will stand behind it. The following is the letter I read to our church family on Wednesday night, June 1st of 2011. I cried through most of it but was met with grand applause from people that are eager to simply be used of God.

Here it is:

I wanted to write and give you a perspective of a change within our church that I feel to be very necessary. I have prayed much over this decision and I am not only convinced that it is the best direction for Global Vision. I am also fully persuaded that this is the very best time to implement this change. We are growing with wonderful steadiness and we certainly anticipate much more growth throughout this year. We have become a church that is known throughout this whole area for our un-compromising DNA structure: Powerful Preaching, Extravagant Generosity, Radical Compassion. In order for us to move forward and stay true to the identity that God has given us, I believe a word must be changed in our name. This is something that our community must see. I feel strongly that GVBC should simply stand for Global Vision Bible Church. Usually when our people are asked where they attend church they respond, "Global Vision". We are becoming well known to many and I am grateful for this fact. However a change in our name will allow us to be ourselves and not keep much of the community at arms length. Here is a list of reasons that I feel this is a very important move:

1. Because of our geographic location (Nashville) 95% of any Baptist church is automatically associated with the SBC. While I have many friends in the Convention, we are not affiliated as a church. I preach in some of the greatest Southern Baptist churches in the country but I believe GV should remain Independent in our structure and governance.

2. The IFB "movement" as a whole is totally out of control and I do not personally wish to be identified with it any longer. Legally, our church will still be Global Vision Baptist Inc., Practically, I am worlds away from where I was even 5 years ago and I cannot in good conscience give my full support to a movement that has become nothing more than a mini controlling denomination. I understand that every "camp" of churches has it's own issues, but I am unwilling to have GVBC submitted to the dictates of a legalistic mindset of man-made regulations. I preach in dozens of IFB churches, but we desire to be truly Independent, even in our identity.

3. The type of families/people we are reaching could care less about such an issue. I have come to realize that people's lives are so much more important that the name a church has on the sign. We are the church and if we are not healthy as a body it doesn't matter what the sign says. So many of our people are brand new Christians or are healing from an experience in the same type of church we are distancing ourselves from.

4. Because of our strong emphasis on Powerful Preaching, the term BIBLE would be much more in line with our DNA and overall vision. People say that to remove "Baptist" will take away our identity. Exactly! I want our identity to be nothing but the Word of God. We didn't start a church so people "like us" would show up. I want a church that is solely built upon the radical principles of the Book. If people know that there is a place like that, they will flock to it. However, if they merely think we are the same kind of church they grew up in, then we won't even get them in the door.

I don't want our church identity sabotaged by a loyalty to denomination, movement, camp or tradition. I want all my allegiance to God's Word.

5. Personally, I'm a very hard guy to put in a box. I feel like I have not been true to who God made me to be and it has caused me much frustration. If I were to start the church over again tomorrow, this would be something I would do from the very beginning. God has done so much in my heart these last few years. But overall, I have allowed this constant "identity crises" to become such a focus that it has greatly affected my judgment and my family. I say "NO MORE". How foolish I have been to seek so much of man's approval. I am at a point in my life and ministry that if I can't be who God made me at GVBC, then I must go somewhere that God can use me without the restraints of others that have nothing to do with our church. However, I know this is where God has placed me and I am positive that this is His leading. I'm not dying on the hill of being "Baptist". But I will gladly lay down my life for the truth of the BIBLE.

We are going to remain as fundamentally sound as we have ever been. We are not changing Bibles or compromising truth. We will continue to keep a red-hot pulpit and build our congregation on expository preaching, soul-winning and world missions. I am grateful for my IFB heritage, but it will not be my future. If others interpret this as an attack on IFB churches, then they have clearly read between the lines. "Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind". This is not easy, but I know for us it is right. I love you all. Now, let's change the sign and reach this town for Christ.

Pastor Greg Locke"

RE: Greg Locke no longer IFB - phil - 06-07-2011

That's new news, but it was old news to me that he wasn't following the Sword of The Lord crowd and was basically being his own man.

RE: Greg Locke no longer IFB - RobMille - 06-07-2011

Good for him! I have no clue anything about him. If he's KJV etc crazy, hope he and they eventually grow & mature to being a better church not just leaving IFB'ism.

RE: Greg Locke no longer IFB - pastor's wife - 06-07-2011

(06-07-2011, 11:46 AM)ex-fundy youth pastor Wrote: I want our identity to be nothing but the Word of God. We didn't start a church so people "like us" would show up. I want a church that is solely built upon the radical principles of the Book. If people know that there is a place like that, they will flock to it. However, if they merely think we are the same kind of church they grew up in, then we won't even get them in the door.

I don't want our church identity sabotaged by a loyalty to denomination, movement, camp or tradition. I want all my allegiance to God's Word.

I don't know this man or the details of what his church believes, but this statement here resonated with me SO MUCH!

This is why we changed our name as well. I've often said that I don't want anything to be a stumbling block to the Gospel except for Christ Himself. If a listener is offended by the claims of Christ, that is an issue between him and God. But if he is offended by my own extra-biblical rules or expectations, then it is up to me to best find a way to reach people in my community.

I also really liked the phrases "extravagant generosity and radical compassion." Of course, Biblical preaching is important, but I grew up hearing that emphasized but never hearing the importance of generosity and compassion.

RE: Greg Locke no longer IFB - Tony Mel - 06-07-2011

Does this have anything to do with this?
http://garyclick.com/2011/06/07/why-i-dont-leave-the-ifb/

RE: Greg Locke no longer IFB - ex-fundy youth pastor - 06-07-2011

(06-07-2011, 12:26 PM)Tony Mel Wrote: Does this have anything to do with this?

Yes, that is a picture of Greg. I just left my (Ryan Garber) rant there. I wonder if he will delete my post/

RE: Greg Locke no longer IFB - Tikatu - 06-07-2011

(06-07-2011, 01:24 PM)ex-fundy youth pastor Wrote:
(06-07-2011, 12:26 PM)Tony Mel Wrote: Does this have anything to do with this?

Yes, that is a picture of Greg. I just left my (Ryan Garber) rant there. I wonder if he will delete my post/

I think he did. Not going to allow for any dissent, is he?

RE: Greg Locke no longer IFB - greg - 06-07-2011

I don't know this guy, but what he said really spoke to me. I have been transforming out of the fundy mindset for a few years and I have said many of the things he said. I am tired of playing church, and want to go deeper and further in my spiritual walk and be able to "show" my faith through my life, not running around trying to please the MOG on things he thinks are important, I want to please the Living God.

RE: Greg Locke no longer IFB - Breaking Free - 06-07-2011

(06-07-2011, 02:55 PM)greg Wrote: I don't know this guy, but what he said really spoke to me. I have been transforming out of the fundy mindset for a few years and I have said many of the things he said. I am tired of playing church, and want to go deeper and further in my spiritual walk and be able to "show" my faith through my life, not running around trying to please the MOG on things he thinks are important, I want to please the Living God.

My thoughts exactly.

RE: Greg Locke no longer IFB - ex-fundy youth pastor - 06-07-2011

Greg has done some pretty un-funday things such as taking men from his church for a homeless weekend (staying in downtown Nashville from Friday night to Sunday morning, begging for food, going straight from downtown to church to give their reports) and giving $100 to each single mom in attendance at church on Mother's Day.